[LargeFormat] Test

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jun 19 03:16:34 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clive Warren" <cocam@blueyonder.co.uk>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 4:53 PM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Test

> At 4:21 pm -0700 18/6/03, Richard Knoppow wrote:
> >No traffic for days.
> >---
>
> Richard,
>
> There have been messages every day but it all went rather
quiet at
> the beginning of the week. I assumed that it was due to
everyone
> rushing into the darkroom with some of the film burned in
the good
> weather over the weekend.....
>
> If you are ever concerned that your Email is not getting
through then
> simply check the archives to make sure that all the posts
have made
> it through your ISP.
>
> Talking of testing, I tried out an old Turner Reich 8x10
convertible
> yesterday as I had finished fettling a 5x7 monorail and
wanted to
> check it out for ease of use with the movements. The
camera lens
> board just happened to have a betax #4 flange on it :-)  I
had a
> rather pleasant suprise - it is certainly better than a
similar lens
> used on an 8x10 here.  High res and good contrast. I was
so suprised
> that it had the pleasure of a sheet of 4x5 provia just to
see how
> well it copes with colour when unconverted. When I get the
chance to
> develop the film will report back.
>
> I know that they are not your favorite lens but then again
it was
> being used in its sweet spot.
>
> Cheers,
>         Clive

  T-R lenses seem to be highly variable. Centering and
cementing five elements is no trivial matter and I suspect
many T-R's are not correctly centered.
  Mine is, I suspect, made under contract to the government.
I am guess dating it at around 1938.
  Its not too bad a lens when combined. The individual cells
have bad color fringing, much worse than a Convertible
Protar. Gundalach had several incarnations. Those made in
Rochester, N.Y. are the older ones, those made in Fairport,
N.Y. are made by a reorganized company put together mainly
to make lenses for the government.  These may have undergone
more stringent inspection than the earlier ones.
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com